In this assignment I had to push forward with my vehicular concepts by modelling my post-apocalyptic car and presenting it in the form of a game.
With this project I found that the most difficult part was the 3D modelling of the car. It was a challenge to keep my topology neat and because of this I struggled to UV map the model, resulting in some awkwardly stretched textures. This can be seen on my trailer – the wood grain is stretched out along the inner panels. This looks unprofessional. To improve this I would go back and dedicate more time to sorting out my UV and presenting it in a more professional way.
I spent a lot of my time creating my landscapes. I went hands on with the Unity Terrain System to try and create a natural looking desert wasteland, including sand dunes, long expansive roads and natural foliage. I enjoyed my time with the Unity Terrain System and found experimenting with different methods of creating terrain very thoroughly enjoyable. However, in some cases the landscapes appears quite empty – and although this would be expected of a desert landscape, I think that it would have been a good idea to add some more foliage, maybe even cacti of some sort to populate my desert.
I think that I could have done more to improve my HUD. Although it is clear what each element of my UI does, I believe that I could have created something of a higher quality. For example, my fuel and health bars (seen around my speedometer) should have been more distinctive, perhaps through the use of the colours red and yellow. This would be a better visual cue for the players, as red and yellow are commonly used as colours to represent health and fuel. The HUD also appears transparent in some cases. This may have been because of the use of a low opacity brush. I do think that this effect may have been an improvement to what I already had, but increasing the opacity would have been better for the most part.
Texturing my car was interesting. I used Substance Painter 2 to paint my car with extra details, including bullet holes, rust and dents. I found that this raised the quality of my car quite significantly, as the use of Normal, Metallic and Heightmaps allowed for more visual fidelity. These maps were much easier to create using Substance Painter than doing them by hand with Photoshop and the also appeared to be less flat and cel-shaded. To improve my textures I would once again say that I would improve my UV map, which would allow me to keep a consistent quality of texture across my vehicle.
Overall, I think that the combination of high quality textures, good lighting and the Unity Post Processing Stack really benefited the final quality of my project. The landscapes felt like a natural desert and because of this the game felt very tied together, as the themes matched. I could have improved elements of my HUD, and my vehicle – but in the end I am quite happy with my product.