Hero Quest 3D Remake

Final Submission Links

3D Development Journal – Google Document.

The objective for this assignment was to create a 3D redesign of the popular board game, Hero Quest.

What is Hero Quest?


Hero Quest is an adventure board game released in 1989 by Milton Bradley, with help from Games Workshop. Players are able to design their own dungeons and quests (usually controlled by the “Game Master”) to provide a wide range of variety in the way that the game is played. This is accomplished through the use of small, plastic character models – and paper/plastic combo pieces, creating props for the environment.


Owners of the board game could paint their pieces how they liked, using their own paints and varnishes. This allowed for a lot of diversity between ‘Game Masters’ as everywhere the game was played, it would be expected that a different art style would be used.

My Interpretation

Hero Quest is already quite modular in the way that it has many reusable pieces that allow for the board to be different every time it is played.

To recreate this modular feel, I created a wide range of models that could be changed/altered easily to seem different when in the final scene.


An example of this is in my Book shelf model.

I hollowed out the shelves using the Extrude tool in Maya. This allowed me to place “smart” colliders on the object in Unity, so that props could be placed inside the bookshelf with different arrangements. This made each bookshelf in my scene appear to be different.

A disadvantage to this is that if you don’t create a large variety of objects, your bookshelves will still look very similar, so having quite a few different props to fill the bookshelves is more effective.


Final Product

Here is a video showcase of my final scene, including a title screen.


I tinkered with the Cloth physics that come with Unity. I wanted to make my flags seem like they were effected by forces and would react like cloth would.

I found that to do this effectively, it was best to have many tris in a model. The more tris in a model, the more realism that can be added to a cloth object.


After about 30 minutes of work I created these natural feeling flags that were affected by forces such as wind and gravity. With the use of a Cutout filter, I was able to add even more detail such as tears and even create the points shape seen above.

In the end, my flags each had only 46 Tris and looked amazing! There were no obvious effects on the FPS of my scene.

The Lighting in my scene was quite intense, but I noticed some odd issues with my planes.


The Lights that were in use were not effecting the floor as I wanted it too. After some research I found that this happens when too many lights are affecting the same plane.

To fix this issue, I had to shrink my plane, and instead use many smaller planes as the floor. This barely effected my performance and it allowed for more accurate lighting, which also looked much better!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s